Monday, July 11, 2011

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher!

Jacob Socolar found a nesting pair at Anilorac Farm in Orange County while I was out of the country.  As soon as I got a chance, I cruised out to see them.
Scissor-tails have been expanding their range, but are still quite rare in NC and this nest site is a significant find.  Another pair was recently found nesting near Charlotte. 
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher


Unfortunately these birds had molted their longest tail feathers and lost the reddish highlights they wear in breeding plumage.  I phone-scoped one from about 12 light-years away.

I had seen one in Nicaragua a few years ago, but this sighting brought my US list even with my Peru list at 312. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Derek. Though I have to admit going to see these birds was not really a challenge.
    Jacob deserves the credit for "discovering" and reporting them.

    ReplyDelete