Saturday, April 2, 2011

SWAMP birds: my first academic presentation


Did you know that there are wetland scientists who care about birds?  I had assumed I was the only one.  

I gave a talk a couple weeks ago at the Society of Wetland Scientists (SWS) South Atlantic Chapter regional meeting, at the US Geologic Survey Headquarters on some bird data I have been collecting in the Duke Wetland Center’s Stream and Wetland Assessment and Management Park (SWAMP).  I thought wetland scientists were all too busy worrying about biogeochemical cycles to care much about birds, so I mostly packed my presentation with sweet bird pictures and laugh lines, but I got a lot of great questions and feedback.

I’ll be collecting more data in June and if I can afford to make the trip, share my SWAMP bird findings with the world at the SWS international conference in Prague in July!  
Anybody interested in offering me a grant to cover travel expenses? =) =)

1 comment: